This is known as gate way of the desert. The town has a fort of Talpur
period which is still existing in the original shape. Talpurs had also built
forts in Islamkot, Singaro and Mithi, which are not prominent as of Naukot.
Gori, some 23 Kms north -west from Virawah, contains a very fine old
lain temple measuring 38 metres by 15 and built of marble. It was for
several times plundered due to its popularity for abundances in wealth. It
is a symbol of unique ancient construction.
Nagar Parkar in 24° 21' north latitude and 70° 47' east longitude is the
chief town in the taluka of the same name. It is situated to the east of a
range of low hills. This town is believed to be of some antiquity, and the
existence of several ruined tanks in and about it seem to indicate a more
prosperous condition in times gone by than is the case at present. About
three kilometers to the south, in the Karunjhar rock, was/is a place of
pilgrimage called Sardhara where there is a temple of Mahadeve. Below the
temple to the north is a pool of water at which the Hindus perform
ceremonies of the dead. Near the pool was a fort said to have been built by
Chandan son of Gobindrai. The fort was destroyed in 1859 by order of the
British Government in connection with the rebellion. At a distance of a
Kilometer from Sardhara to the south is a stone statue of a cow against the
rock out of which water flows into a tank. The tank is always full of water.
Another place ofpilgrimage is Anchlisar, where there is a ling of Mahadev.
There are three tanks here filled by springs.
Reportedly this area was
part of sea which was to be crossed therefore it was named as "Parkar".
Literally it meal1s to cross over. Nagarparkar has on its north Chachro
taluka and on west Mithi taluka of Tharparkar district. While on east of it
Jodhpur. Rajistan (India) and on its south Rann of Kutch. The surrounding of
Nagarparkar city comprisil1g of 62 kilometers area named as Parkar which is
a Rocky belt and the remaining part is sandy area. Climatically the small
rocks and sandy bhits both become extreme cold in winter and hot in summer.
The Karoonjhar Hills art: circularly surroul1dil1g the Nagarparkar city for
26 kilometers. The granite stone of this mountain is used for making tiles.
In summer different sounds are audible from the rock due to sulphur
Mithi 24" 44' north latitude and 69" 51' east longitude. the head
quarters of the district and taluka of that name, It possessed a
Municipality, but it was abolished in 1905, It now contains a D.C" office.
Mukhtiarkar office, Police station dispensary, Vernacular school. a Girls's
school, a Post office and Musafirkhana, Embroidery work is done at Mithi,
The nearest railway station is Chhor 53 kilometers distant, There are the
ruins of two forts belonging to the periods at the beginning of last century
when the Talpurs were bringing Thar and Parkar under their dominion, The
principal one to the south of the village is the site of a sarai. It used to
contain nine guns, The other is to the west of the village on a slight
Virawah situated in north latitude 24" 31' and east Longitude 70" is a
village about 24 kilometers from the town of Nagar Parkar. and is
interesting only on account of the number of Jain ruins contained in the
remaining of the old town of Pari Nagar adjacent. There are different
traditions about Pari Nagar which is said to have been founded in the fifth
or sixth century and to have been destroyed in the twelfth. It was a very
populous and flourishing town. It is now a brick heap and only one small
Jain temple remains standing. It was here that Mr. Giles. when Deputy
Commissioner of the district. obtained the magnificently carved block of
marble which is no"' in the Karachi Museum.
This is the native village of Marvi, the most cherished and respected
daughter of this land, a symbol of patriotism and chastity, who did not
succumb to any pressure or lure. On the contrary she preferred to accept a
pure thari life full of poverty and problems, instead of becoming Queen.
This area is historically known as Malir, whereas present named Bhalwa
become popular when Bhee/ settled at this village and renamed it as Bhalwa.
Bhodisar is situated 3 kilometers away in the north. west of Nagarparkar,
beneath the Karoonjhar Hills. This town happened to be the prosperous and
affluent city of the time, which is eminent from the ancient constructions
still found there. This place Bhodesar was formerly known as Bhodesar Nagry.
There lived one Queen Bhodi. She had constructed a beautiful pond having
metalled base. According to historians. on his way back to CJhazna. Sultan
Mehmood Ghaznavi. after the consequent of Somnath in 1026 decided to pass
through this desert. During his journey he lost the track and in search of
water he arrived at this pond. Subsequently he constructed a memorial at
this place which was later converted into Mosque by Sultan Mehmood Begra.
Bhodisar was inhabited by Sodhas and Khosas who were the famous bandits and
the people were scared of them. The repeated complaints were reaching in the
court of Tughlaque in Delhi. resultantly Sultan Mehmood Begra lead his
expedition to Parkar in 1504. and went back. Later his mother was looted at
the same place along with other travellers. This instigated Sultan Mehmood
Bogra to route out Sodhas and Khosas. He came in 1505 with full preparation
and fought a bloody war at Bhodesar and constructed a beautiful mosque at
this place. At this place about six kilometer north, north-west from Nagar
Parkar there are the remains of three ancient Jain Structures supposed to
have been built in A.D., 1375 and 1449. Two of them were previously used as
stalls for cattle. and the third, the interior of which was very beautifull
and interesting, had large holes in the back wall and was in a very
neglected state. Close by is a tank 400 feet by 200, said to have been built
600 years ago by Bhoda Parmar, son of Prince Jeso Parmar, who finding that
it would not retain water remedied the defect, under the advice of the
Brahmans, by sacrificing his son to the goddess of the town.
Warvai is the small village comprising of nine hundred souls situated
some 12 kilometers away from lslamkot on the main track leading towards
Nagarparkar. On drilling of the site, coal has been recovered at this place.
This is one of the 13 places in this district from where the coal deposits
have been found.
This is a small village situated 14 kilometers in the south of
Nagarparkar, area was occupied by Thakurs (Sodhas) who migrated to India
during 1971 War, The prominence of this area is only because it provide
suitable soil and climate for agriculture This soil is extremely suitable
for vegetables specially for onion, Besides sweet water is easily available
at the depth of 25 to 40 feets, According to experiments each well can
irrigate atleast four acres of land.