|Places Of Interest|
Foremost among Karachi’s historic buildings, is the birthplace of Quaid-e-Azam Mohammad Ali Jinnah. The house is a balconied, three-storied structure on Newneham Road, located in Kharadar, one of the oldest residential areas of the city. The house has been declared a protected national monument.
This white marble Mausoleum with its curved Moorish Arches and copper grills rests on an elevated 54 Sq. meters platform. The cool inner sanctum reflected the green of a four tiered crystal chandelier gifted by the Peoples Republic of China. The memorial slab framed with silver railings draws people from far and wide who come to pay their respects to the father of the Nation and to watch the impressive change of guard ceremony that takes place everyday. Today, the Quaid-e-Azam’s Mausoleum is a prominent and impressive landmark of Karachi. Nearby are the graves of the “Quaid-e-Millat”, Liaquat Ali Khan, the first Prime Minister of Pakistan and the Qauid’s sister Mohtarma Fatima Jinnah.
Liaquat Hall is surrounded by the Bagh-e-Jinnah (Jinnah Garden). Originally called Frere Hall, it was once used as Town Hall where, during colonial days, concerts and social events were held regularly. This two storey Venetian Gothic building now houses the Liaquat Municipal Library on the ground floor and an art galley on the first floor. Named after one of Pakistan’s renowned artists, Sadquain, the gallery displays a permanent collection of the artist’s work. Sadquain spent last year of his life, painting a huge mural on the ceiling of the gallery bur, sadly, did not live to complete it.
National Museum Of Pakistan/Burns Garden
This museum, on Dr. Ziauddin Ahmed Road, contains an important collection of items relating to Pakistan’s ancient heritage. Well-arranged galleries display Indus Civilization artifacts, Gandhara sculptures, Islamic art, miniature paintings, ancient coins and manuscripts documenting Pakistan’s political history. There is also an interesting ethnological gallery. The construction work was completed in 1960’s.
Built by the British to commemorate the silver Jubilee of Queen Victoria’s reign, this historic market is designed in the domestic Gothic style. From its center rises a tall clock tower. The market contains shops that sell meat, fish, poultry, vegetables and other groceries. The foundation stone was laid by Sir James Fergusson, Governor of Bombay on 10-11-1884. The market was inaugurated by Mr. Prichard, the then Commissioner of Sindh on 21-3-1889.
Situated in the Defence Housing Authority, Masjid-e-Tooba is a modern architectural marvel. It is said to be the largest single dome mosque. The dome covers central prayer hall with a capacity to accommodate congregation of 5,000 people. The mosque’s single minaret stands 70 meters high.
Positioned as the landmark of Karachi’s main business center, Mereweather Tower is another historical monument of Karachi. It stands 35 meters high and carries a four- faced clock. The Tower construction work was completed and opened for the public by Sir Evans James in 1892. The Tower was constructed in the memory of Sir William L. Mereweather who was the Commissioner of the Sindh.
Sindh High Court
Built in the Renaissance style, this magnificent sandstone building is a combination of local and Roman styles of architecture. It is embellished with cupolas, balconies and tall Roman style columns.
Clifton Beach And Funland
Close to the popular seaside of the city, is Clifton Beach, where Karachiites flock to on weekends and holidays. Scattered along the shore are numerous stalls selling handicrafts made from seashells. Clifton has an amusement park with a bowling alley, and an aquarium.